Can I take tramadol before surgery?

Discussion in 'Pain Relievers' started by Comniole, Jan 20, 2017.

1. Comniole

Comniole New Member

I will have a minor surgery planned for the next week. It’s nothing to worry about really and I can’t say I’m very nervous, but there’s one thing I’m doubtful about. The thing is I’m taking Tramadol for back pain and my doctor told me that I shouldn’t take any before I go to surgery. Should I really stop taking it? I’m not really keen on doing that because I’m worried about my pain getting worse. What would you say guys? When should I stop taking it and how dangerous is it to take painkillers like Tramadol before surgery? Thanks.

2. Leonaris

Leonaris New Member

I’ve had a couple of surgeries so far and both times my doctors warned me that I always should tell them about each and every drug I take and that I can’t take any drugs before the surgery. You need to consult with your doctor about your back pain issue.

3. Comniole

Comniole New Member

Hi, thanks for the reply. It really worries me that I will not be able to take tramadol (and maybe no other painkillers either); it’s been helping me with my back pain a lot. I just don’t imagine how am I supposed to go through a surgery being in pain.

Leonaris likes this.
  4. Leonaris

Leonaris New Member

Well, the thing is, you are not supposed to. Make sure your doctor, nurses and your surgeon know that you experience pain. They must choose proper anesthetics in order to make your surgery and the rehab period as painless as possible. So unless there are some contraindications as to anesthesia, you shouldn’t be in pain.

Comniole likes this.
  5. Comniole

Comniole New Member

I actually didn’t consider this option – using anesthetics, I mean. Looks like I do have to go and have a long and detailed conversation with my doctor. And I really hope that they will use something apart from tramadol that will reduce pain during the surgery. I’m starting to get nervous.

6. Leonaris

Leonaris New Member

Don’t be nervous. It’s the worst thing you can do before even seeing into the matter. First, talk to your doctor about your options, and don’t forget to share your doubts and bad feelings with him or her. And don’t worry; you’ll be just fine! I know, I’ve been there.

Comniole likes this.
  7. Comniole

Comniole New Member

Thanks so much for your support, I am really grateful.