How good is Cipro for strep throat?

Discussion in 'Antibiotics' started by Cathane, Jan 26, 2017.

1. Cathane

Cathane New Member

Acute pharyngitis is nothing like fun. Looks like I have to choose form a very wide range of antibiotics they offer, but since I don’t know too much about them, I’ve decided to ask a question here. My sister says she took Cipro when she had this strep throat issue and it helped her to get well. The problem is, it was pretty much her decision, not a doctor’s recommendation. So I wonder. How well does Cipro work with pharyngitis and are there antibiotics that would be better for strep throat? Antibiotics are not exactly vitamins, so I’m hesitant to take something I know little about.

Celight likes this.
  2. Celight

Celight New Member

I have to agree; it’s not fun at all. By Cipro you mean Ciprofloxacin, right? It’s really one of the antibiotics that helps your body fighting a wide range of bacterial infections, including throat infections. It can be used in your case as well, but it may not be the best choice. There are certain types of bacteria that stay immune to it, so you may need something more effective, like Amoxicillin. Although, in fact, I would suggest that you see a doctor. Taking antibiotics at a guess might be dangerous for your health, and pharyngitis is quite nasty as it is.

Cathane likes this.
  3. Cathane

Cathane New Member

Thank you! I did have certain doubts about Cipro, and now they are confirmed. :)